DIY: Way Forward in this Recession?

Hello darlings, I will start this post with a recent encounter of mine at the salon.

Google Images

Last week, I was at the salon to wash and weave my hair. I actually decide to wash at the salon because my conditioner finished and I got a leave in conditioner instead of a conditioner, blame it on impatience. I sat down, yanked my wig off while waiting for the lady to come and start loosing my weaves. On second thought, I decided to ask how much it will cost me. Already, I felt it shouldn’t exceed N1,000 or N1,500 – natural salon can sometimes be a bit pricey than the usual salon.

Please note that this is not the first time I am washing my natural hair at a salon.  I sometimes do when I need to make some natural hairstyles. But I never ask for the price because I feel it’s an added benefit, if only I know.

I always prefer to wash my hair in the comfort of my bathroom. Aside the fact that my conditioner finished, I miss the joy of someone running her hands through my hair, massaging it and the feel of that warm water. That feeling is second to none!

Debs, don’t digress!

So after I asked the stylist, she looked at me straight in the eye without blinking and said, “N2,500.”

What freaking N2,500! I thought.

My head did a quick mathematics and my first question was, “Do you sell conditioner?”

She answered, “Yes”

I requested for the amount and she responded that it is N2,000!

My darlings, are you seeing my life. I just paid for a bottle (which they made themselves) and told her I will come back tomorrow to weave my hair for N500.

I just can’t deal. In this recession! N2,000 to wash hair?! Because it is a natural hair and a natural saloon! I’m still in tears… I’m still calculating what the N2,000 will buy.

Seen my natural hair?  Grow the Fro

Don’t you think everyone should begin to learn some DIY- Do it Yourself. You know, in this time you don’t need to go out and start paying excessively for things you can do yourself.

According to Wikipedia, Do it yourself (DIY) is the method of building, modifying, or repairing things without the direct aid of experts or professionals.

I know I am extremely guilty of DIY. I am super lazy with doing some of these things myself because I believe there are people out there willing to do it for you at an affordable cost. But these costs are no longer affordable. What happens if i decide to wash my hair every week, it means I will pay N8,000 to N10,000 in a month! When I can buy a shampoo and conditioner less that amount and use it more than 4 times…

Home Chores I Detest

May God help us.

I am beseeching you my darling readers, if you know any DIY hack please share. I need to start learning how to weave my hair myself, do my make up perfectly myself, mend that piece of clothe without going to a seamstress, add a few touches to my old shoes and not just throw it away, wash that old weave and turn it into a wig and a host of other things. Infact, I should begin to mix shampoos and conditioner and sell them.

DIY start with the little things at home you can read on how to do on google or watch a YouTube video on how to do it. Most of my friends that are pro make up artistes now, learnt on You Tube and some are beginning to make money from it. There’s this lady on my snap, she makes wigs herself, fix her broken belts herself, a self-taught make up artist, she makes natural hair cream herself, literally makes something out of nothing, and I always awe at her rare talent and when I asked her she simply said she had to learn to do these things on her own because she felt we can’t always pay for things we can do ourselves.

What are your thoughts? Have you experienced any of such before when someone charges you ridiculously for something you can do yourself? Do you agree DIY is a way out of the current economic recession? Kindly share below…

Comments

comments

13 Comments

1. January 19, 2017 / 11:09 am

My dear I totally understand you, DIY is the way forward in this period. Normally I carry my weave for two weeks and then I make another one, but my dear recession has taught me sense

• debadmin
      January 19, 2017 / 11:13 am

• debadmin
      January 19, 2017 / 11:16 am

Hahahahaha, I have already turned all my old weaves to wig and that’s what I wear now. No money to waste money on fixing and braids every now and then again.

T

2. January 19, 2017 / 11:10 am

On the DIY marra.. I had to learn how to sew…. Because boutique gowns are not it at all.. 2500 to was hair kwa.. Na wa o..
    By the way you have really beautiful hair.. Come and coach me oo.. Did the big chop last year November though…

• debadmin
      January 19, 2017 / 11:15 am

My shock too o. Thanks dear, not difficult at all. You should subscribe to Dammy’s houseofnaturals.com.ng
      They share very helpful tips on dealing with the natural hair there.

• January 19, 2017 / 11:43 pm

oh yeah that’s true..I totally forgot about that..Thanks a lot..

3. Ibukunwrites
    January 19, 2017 / 11:29 am

Hehehehe babes! I understand! In fact when I did the big chop I was resolute to let my hair breathe and do just wig and I started taking lessons on YouTube all because I wanted to save my money and make my own wig but that attitude is borne out of fear of going broke/saving and wanting to be good at everything and it’s not really good! You can’t be good at everything! If I bake, write, blog, go to PPA. . . I can even remember the last time I sew! I always tell myself that I’ll never learn anything I know I won’t have time to practice. Don’t get me wrong, handwork is good! And it’s okay to have one even plenty but we all can’t be handwork junkies and come to think of it, if you know virtually how to do everything, you won’t see the reason to appreciate others. . . ‘cos you can do it! So boo, the prayer is that in whatever paths we’ve chosen, that God should never withdraw His hands of blessing upon us to afford all that we need. . . and I think, you can just swap expensive products for cheap quality ones and I just found one brand I intend to try my hands on soon @hairfilliation on IG. . . And talking about DIY, I love DIYs. . . you should try this DIY Deep Conditioner (quite moisturizing and protenious) Mayonnaise, Honey, Olive Oil, ACV and vitamin e! And I just made my sealant cream Shea butter + coconut oil. . . and instead of going to salon, you can just get a friend to do it for you and simply put them through! (Sorry this comment is long!😘😘)

• debadmin
      January 19, 2017 / 11:33 am

Long ke? I enjoy every word. Honestly, I wish I could sit down and do some of this simple things. At least, the onesI can try to do but it’s not just my thing. The other day I tried to do protein treatment, I messed up the whole room and my hair was a mess. I just gave up and I’m still saving for the N4,000 or so I will pay if I use the salon 🙈🙈🙈

I agree with you that we can’t always do all but we should try to do some. My own is even worse. I detest anything I will do and will create a mess eventually especially baking! I need to be patient🙏🏼

Thanks for sharing your thought on this dear😘

4. January 19, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Hehehe………..the current country economic situation is really teaching us sense.
    Actually I knew a DIY hack on shampoo and the rest which i stumbled upon few months ago but presently can’t find out where I wrote them but I still have it stored in one of those buzzing brain cell of mine

You could make use Banana(Riped one) + Olive Oil to use as Shampoo. I recommend it to my aunt and she was a testifier Lol.
    Another one is washing off the Shampoo(as above) with a beer (Preferably anyone, I recommend 33 or Guinness, you can get the can one). You Leave it in for about 2 hours with your shower cap on). Afterward rinse off with warm (tepid) water.

I know this DIY may sound weird but it works especially the sorghum and other mineral content of the beer is good for the health of hair

• debadmin
      January 19, 2017 / 12:55 pm

I am really going to try the beer one. Thanks for joining the discussion Emmanuel🙏🏼

5. January 21, 2017 / 5:47 am

2000 and you’re crying. Mscheeeew this natural salon I made the mistake of not asking their price first. Wanted to wash my hair only. Sat down. They washed and “steamed”. When done, the auntie told me it was 5000. I was just looking like “are you mad”. They’re even lucky I had 5k cash with me there. My tears were too shocked to come out sef.

Today i have this crotchet weave I want to install. My sister asked me if I’m doing it myself or going out. Chai. If not for work and the need to make it real neat, I plan to just sit my ass home and use my hair pin and install this weave myself like I’ve done about 3 times

• debadmin
      January 21, 2017 / 6:33 am

5,000 what?! I will just tell them to ‘unsteam’ the hair! 😂😂😂 We just need to learn to do some of these things on our own. This is exploitation at its peak!

6. November 23, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. Id prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don?t mind. Natually Ill give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.