My Acne Story: Body Organic Haul & Different Products I Tried

My Acne Story: Body Organic Haul & Different Products I Tried

There are some moments in life, certain things would happen to you and everyone you know will suddenly become a seasoned expert at these things. This could range from pregnancy, menstruation, passing an exam, being a mother, starting a new job, unmarried at 30, or dealing with acne.

When my acne became fully blown and very visible, almost every human in my life has an advise or two for me. At some point, I got confused and wasn’t even sure which one to stick to. One thing was certain, this wasn’t the first time I’ve had to deal with acne. I once share my acne story sometimes last year, this shows that this is something I’ve had to deal with at different times of my life.

When my acne became fully blown and very visible, almost every human in my life became a seasoned expert on acne Click To Tweet

In April, when I started seeing these little bumps, I knew the next few months would be trying times. My friends told me I used a soap meant for the body for my face. I tried not to believe them but it could be true so I got the right face soap but it got worse.

The Genesis of my Acne Story

My acne story started a very long time ago, right from when I was about 18 thereabout. It has always been an off and on issue. My face isn’t an entirely smooth face and it has always encountered bumpy rides. Some days, I have a face as smooth as a baby bum; and some days it’s as bad as a farm road. I think this is largely due to genetics. When my elder brother was between 16-21, his face was a mess. I remembered one joke we usually pass around then. We told him we’d get a gun loaded with pimples bullet so he can always shoot the big bumps when they appear.

My father also told us back then that my mom’s acne stopped when she started to have babies. Hence, we should expect to deal with it as we grow old. I never knew that prophecy was going to be fulfilled in my own life of all the 5 kids aside my brother.

My face isn't an entirely smooth face and it has always encountered bumpy rides. Some days, I have a face as smooth as a baby bum; and some days it's as bad as a farm road. Click To Tweet

Related: How I Got Rid Of My Acne

The Bumpy Ride Between April To June

I was still celebrating fresh face after I dealt with it last year. If you read the story above, you’d understand what I mean. This made me abandoned a skincare regimen. I didn’t see the need to get separate towel for my face and body, and I sometimes forget I have a face cleanser and scrub.

Towards the end of April, I attended a wedding. While the make up artist was beating up my face, she brought up this. That was when I realized I had started another journey towards my acne story.

Acne Story

Acne Story

Did you notice the difference between the picture above? That’s about a week difference. That was exciting and I thought my face was on its path to restoration. I didn’t see the need to find a solution anymore, it was clearing. Hence, I stuck to the same products I was using. Until I had my birthday photo shoot and I almost had a mental breakdown when I saw my face even after the layers of make up.

Birthday Photo Shoot

I Reached Out For Help

It was no longer time to hide under the umbrella of ‘it would go, it’s just a phase’. It was time to actually start listening to all the counseling and ‘dermatologists’. I shared this acne story struggle on my Instagram story and I got a lot of referrals. Most were professional dermatologist, laser treatment, natural beauty products among others. Some of these brands sent me DMs, but I was a bit skeptical. I was really worried about using any products that will bleach my skin.

I went back to H-Medix to find ClearZit or Acne Out but couldn’t find any and I was too lazy to try other store. The pharmacist on duty gave me this Oxy 10 Cream to use.

Oxy 10 for acne

I really wanted to visit a dermatologist but my pockets wasn’t agreeing with me. I decided to start with simple products and drugs I could afford.This Oxy 10 was really a bad market as my face was getting really dry and itchy. Another pharmacist friend gave me a drug (Itraconazole tabets, can’t remember the specific one now) to use and I started using it judiciously. I used about 3 sachet of this drug, yet no permanent visible difference.

Acne Story Journey

During this period, I started seeing House of Coco products reviews from fellow bloggers. I read this on DemiAkin and Tonye’s blog and I thought to try it as it was a bit pocket friendly. I reached out to the page and chatted with someone whom I presumed have a good knowledge of skincare. After explaining my dilemma with pictures, she advised me on what to use and immediately I placed my order.

House of Coco Products

I received my order after about 3 working days and I started using this. Before I received this, a colleague’s wife who is also a doctor advised I get doxycycline capsule, sebamed clear face cleansing bar and Benzoyl peroxide cream. Who have I offended in this life with all these various medications and products just for my face?

I got the 4 in 1 cleanser facial toner and dermal repair face cream for day and night and a body cream from House of Coco. I could not find the advised Sebamed soap but later, I got it. The one in the picture above was used for my body while I started using the face soap strictly for my face. I also got a separate towel for my face.

All these I started using from July 4th.

What I Noticed With The New Products

House of Coco Products was working on my skin especially the Rose Water and Glycerin toner. Going forward, I must always have a rose water at home. The acne was drying up but my face became super oily. The spots became more visible and I felt even more sad. I continued to use all this non stop to be sure what was really wrong. I cut all fatty and oily food as everyone suddenly assume it was the food I was consuming.

16 days later, my acne story thus far. I thought it was time to really see a dermatologist as I wasn’t convinced enough. So, I called Skin101ng to book an appointment that will cost me N15,000. On second thought, I paused, if an appointment will cost N15,000 ($41), how much more will the actual treatment cost. I checked my expense for the month again, it would not fit in. I canceled the appointment and I assured myself I will try again.

Body Organics Product

A friend once referred this page to me, and when I checked the prices of their products, I said, ‘Not today Satan’.  But on July 25, I told myself it is time to try this last product and if all fails, I am either going to go under the blade of a dermatologist for real or resign to fate.

I was really tired and angry for real. Everyone close to me knew how upset I was around this period as I was always cranky. I even stopped looking at my face in the mirror to avoid that heartbreak.

I went to Body Organics store in Garki, Abuja bare faced. The attendant carefully examined my face and told me to get this French butter Soap and Serum. I vehemently told her I wanted the ‘miracle in a jar’ that has been all over my Instagram page from their sponsored post. She was patient and explained to me that it is best I start with these as my acne needed to dry out and clear off first. I listened to her and got them. In addition, I added the Face and Body Exfoliating Brush 4-in-1 SPA Cleansing System and a rose water.

Body Organic French butter Soap

Face and Body Exfoliating Brush 4-in-1 SPA Cleansing System, Waterproof and Cordless

Rose Water

I took a picture of my face while at the store so I can monitor the progress days later. In addition, I got 2 face scrub/mask to try after reading non stop reviews. I got myself a St. Ives Scrub and an Absolute New York charcoal mask.

It has been quite a tedious and stressful journey but below is a picture of my face on the day I got these new products and what it is now. I am not very much there yet but so far, this has been the best of my face so far. I hope to still see a dermatologist and hope to get a permanent cure for the scars and future recurrence.

Before I got Body Organics product

Two weeks after I started using Body Organics Product

My Current Routine

To avoid coming back here to tell you guys about another acne story, I have found a simple routine that I think would work for me for a very long time and I am going to ensure I stick by it.

• I use the charcoal mask once a week, although it might be a bit painful and uncomfortable especially if it touches any hair on your face.
  • St Ives scrub is my go to scrub twice a week. I plan to get a scrub at Body Organics soon.
  • The Exfoliating Brush set, I use every two days so I don’t over wash my face. On the days I am not using it, I just cleanse my face with just water and soap.
  • The face serum is a night routine everyday.
  • I have stopped wearing make up. Truly, I still cannot believe I have but if that’s the solution to my problem, I am going to embrace it. My face now breathes well and I have been glowing. I would only wear make up going forward when there’s really a need to.
  • Lastly, I spray the glow tonic on my face after shower. Nothing else touches my face. It also doubles as my face cleanser. I took the pictures below this morning. Can you spot the glow?

My acne story face

Is your skin acne prone? What has been your biggest struggle and how have you manage to overcome them? Are you someone who has a strict skincare routine, what is it like? What would you advise me to do differently? Kindly leave your comments below.

P.S: This is not a sponsored post. All thoughts are entirely mine.

Let’s be friends on:

Facebook – Debwritesblog

Twitter – Debwritesblog

Instagram – Debwritesblog

Pinterest – Debwritesblog

25 Comments

1. August 9, 2018 / 3:01 pm

Hey Debs, I read every bit of this and you are so bold to put these pictures out there and I love you more for being so truthful. I’ve fought with acne for the longest time, right now i’m just left with spots but I know it will get better somehow. No serious routine but I wash every night and scrub regularly. Cleanse with rose water and glycerine regularly as well.

• August 9, 2018 / 3:16 pm

I almost not want to post, because of how horrible the pictures look. But then, it’s my face and I sure have to at some point.

Thanks so much Zee 🖤 I never realized how important rose water is until now. It’s my new found friend and I’m sticking with it for a long time to come.

2. August 9, 2018 / 4:19 pm

Debssssss…. I want to hug you so much right now… You’re so brave and this journey will definitely be over soon.

I fight with getting rid of spots more than acne (as it eventually goes) but I never let it bother me.

The period I used oxy 10, it was good for drying out acne so I only just apply it on the affected spot.

This post has really inspired me to get an affordable skin/face routine… maybe get rosewater(every one swears by it) and a scrub.. I know to use a separate towel for my face and never sleep with makeup on but that shouldn’t be all….

I’m glad your skin is getting better Dear.

• August 9, 2018 / 4:23 pm

My dear, I surprised myself too. I think sticking to a good skincare routine is major goals, I learnt the hard way.

About that towel thing ehn, I’m going to buy 2 more extra towels for my face.

Thanks so much for you sweet comment, I needed that hug some days back and you owe me one whenever we see 😉

3. August 9, 2018 / 4:29 pm

Wow Debs you are so strong…. Whatttttt! With this level of acne I doubt I will step out of my house. Oh my and I walked into a body shop store the other day by mistake actually and I didn’t buy anything. I am definitely going back. I don’t even have that much acne but whenever I have any, they scar me badly and leave black spots all over but still I am grateful.

I can’t wait to see your face in the next one month and girl stick to that routine. My skin struggles began after I dumped my products and did nothing to my skin for months when I eventually looked in the mirror and told myself Gift you have to do something. But getting back into a routine is proving so difficult. Plus I am still trying to get all my products together.

• August 9, 2018 / 4:35 pm

The most annoying part is when everyone seems to think they know what is wrong, it breaks my heart ehn. I would try to use make up to cover it, I never knew I was doing myself. I’m even thinking it’s some make up products I got from a recognized make up store.

Thanks Gift, your comment always warm my heart.

4. August 9, 2018 / 4:29 pm

5. August 9, 2018 / 4:43 pm

I’m 23 and I had never ever had acne in my life. I had the occasional monthly pimple that would disappear in a day. In May, I noticed “a rash” on my forehead that has gone on to be the most amount of pimples and spots on my face ever.
    Reading your story makes me feel so much better that I can keep trying and it’ll actually reduce soon.
    Well done, b. ❤️

• August 9, 2018 / 5:06 pm

Oh dear, imagine. Please try to get products that will work, and with time, it would clear away.

Thanks Ella 🖤

6. Tosin Soyannwo
    August 9, 2018 / 6:19 pm

Jehovah Debs, I salute your courage thanks for reminding me to come read. I have neva had any experience of this before, one dot of pimple or boil on my face I will go on and on talking about it like I have it all over my face. I can’t imagine myself going out with such face. Chai and people can mock saying they care🙄 advise from right left back front and center.
    You need to see the smile on my face wen I saw that July picture not knowing I will still see clearer pictures of your face.
    I guess we should learn to cherish everyday of our life and every stage.
    Nice writeup darling

And that line got “but my pockets wasn’t agreeing with me”😄😄😄😄😄

• August 9, 2018 / 6:27 pm

See what I was telling you 😅😅😅 My dear, it was a real struggle. You’d see more pictures when we see.

Thanks for your kind words 🖤

7. August 9, 2018 / 11:50 pm

I feel so happy for you.
    Just realized that your acne is like mine, more around the jaw. I’m more pumped up about getting those products.

You didn’t speak about the spin-brush and the serum in your routine, and how you use them.

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

• August 10, 2018 / 7:21 am

I was trying so hard not to make the post longer than it already was.

I use the brush every 2 days. For my face and body. While the serum is used only at night everyday.

I should update the post and include this bit. Thanks b, I hope you get the products and it works for you 🖤

8. Eesha Salam
    August 10, 2018 / 8:54 am

Am so happy for you darling

• August 10, 2018 / 8:54 am

Thanks baby and for pushing me to try it as well.

9. August 10, 2018 / 10:33 am

Hi Debs, great job on this detailed review and saying it how it is. My skin has been having major issues and your post has inspired me to invest in Rose water for my dark spots. I’m often envious of people with great skin especially those who do nothing but just wash their face. Either ways I’ll try out some of your recommended products and see how it will work. Thank you for this.

Princess Audu

• August 10, 2018 / 10:37 am

Oh dear, we are together in this business of envying people those people. It’s just like people that eat everything without getting fat.

Overall, genes are different and it’s important for everyone to understand what works for them. I never realized how important rose water is until now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Sarah, and do let me know if any of the products work.

10. Chinelo
    August 10, 2018 / 12:25 pm

You are not alone my sister. Been battling with mine for 9 years. Have never had a smooth face. Have tried different products over the years nothing seem to work. It’s genetic,got it from mum so I am left with the fate of till I get married and start giving birth (can’t wait lol).

But I’ve really learnt to manage it. I go for facials every month, stopped taking caffeinated drinks e.g coke (so addicted), got small white towels for my face alone. Stopped picking or even touching my face with my hands,stopped chocolates, oily foods and nuts, and many more; can’t even believe I could travel to work without makeup, I sometimes get embarrassed when I get to my bus stop. I hear stuffs like “fine girl with pimples” “pimples girl I want to buy pimples” lols “hey pls stop that cream,it’s not good for u” LMAO etc. The black spots and the fresh acnes are all obvious cos of my complexion.

Amidst all these I still sticked to the rules of no make-up as I need the products I am using to work. And so far so good, have been able to manage it to a reasonable extent. Pimples or no pimples a fine girl will always be a fine girl says my Mr lova lova 😁😁😁

• August 10, 2018 / 12:29 pm

Wow, that’s some incredible journey, hon. Hey, I can relate to the people that suddenly come with the ‘Stop using that cream and soap’ line. It can really be ridiculous. Especially if you aren’t even using anything on your face.

By and by, we’d get through this, dear. I hope to include regular facials in my routine but then, I’m scared of allowing different products on my face.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Linda 🖤

11. August 10, 2018 / 1:45 pm

You’re so bold Debs. I used to struggle with acne during my teenage years but I noticed it reduced as I grew older. I don’t ever wear makeup except on 0.01% occasions which is really rare. I learnt to leave my skin alone when I got this heavy break out after trying to get into the make up life. As at this moment, I have a non existent skin care routine just the occasional scrubs and toning but I know not to use a body towel on my face or even bother drying my face after washing. I know I have to really invest in skincare, like I always tell myself, if you don’t wear makeup, get your skin glowing.

• August 10, 2018 / 1:55 pm

My dear, how can I go out without make up? This used to be my chant but life can really humble one. I have been humbled and I am currently enjoying my make up less life. I hope and pray to sustain it.

Thanks for stopping by, Nessa and happy birthday once again.

12. August 10, 2018 / 11:49 pm

Girl, I commend you for being so open about this struggle. Mine has also been off and on, infact na the acne just dey rush us oo…lol
    However, I’m hoping to get over this phase really soon. I’m currently using tea tree oil facial scrub and clay masks sent to me by L’oreal. Hoping to start using some new botanical acne treatment sent to me in a PR package soon but I want to be fully ready to commit to the process.
    I’m glad your skin is clearing out love, acne cannot come and spoil our market oo.

Lqueenwrites.com

• August 11, 2018 / 5:57 am

But why can’t this acne just stay away from us? The ‘na acne dey rush us part’ 🤣🤣🤣🤣

This too must pass. Please Tee, do let me know how the treatments work.

What do you think? Leave a comment